About Me

My photo
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, United States
I'm a baby boomer, born in Davenport, Iowa, in the heartland of the USA.We moved to Duluth, Minnesota when I was 2. From there, my family moved to Illinois, Georgia, Salt Lake City, Utah, and I landed in Southern California in 1974. I still miss the Midwest, though, especially in autumn. I'm single, devout Catholic, an animal lover (love me, love my cats!), and a writer.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Getting started...

Okay. This is my first venture into the world of blogging, so this one is going to be brief. This past week has been a tough one for me. On Tuesday, I learned that one of my longtime online buddies passed away in her sleep. We met through an online chat room about 10 years ago. All of us were fans of the now defunct "Another World" daytime drama. We'd get together weekly to catch up on whatever was going on in our lives. Over the years, we shared our joys and our tough times. We got to know each other's hobbies, dreams, and families. A group of us who loved Scrabble would play online tournaments with each other. Even though we never met, we formed a bond of friendship that was just as real. My friend's screen name was "Heart of Gold," and she surely lived up to it.

A few weeks ago, I learned that a cousin was ill. He had been in intensive care since July 19. His family set up a Web site so all of the extended family and friends could keep updated on his condition. Due to the seriousness of his condition, only immediate family could visit. So, the rest of us kept a vigil online, and sent words of encouragement to be read to him. Thursday, my cousin Tom died. He was only 51. I will write of him at another time. It's too soon, and I'm still heartbroken at his family's loss. This part of the journey is still sinking in.

Well, this is it. My first post. Before signing off, I guess I would encourage you to hold close to those you love. Don't put off that phone call, or writing an email or letter. We never know how much time we have with the ones we love. Life really is short.
Peace be with you.

1 comment:

melody said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Looks like you're off to a great start. I couldn't resist your blog title...Rich's music will never grow old for this household!

Thanks for taking the time to share your beautiful thoughts...I'm off to kiss my loved ones:)